Here are some tax file software that let you file state tax return for free.
Only some people qualify for the free federal tax return filing for the IRS free file program. These people who qualify for free federal are also eligible for a free state return filing. Otherwise State tax returns could cost you as much as $39.95.
The states which participate in the IRS free file program are:
- New York
- North Dakota
- North Carolina
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- West Virginia
Listed below are the free file members on the IRS website. Also listed is the fee each one charges for a state tax return filing.
The charges mentioned below are applicable when accompanied by the free federal tax return. The prices would change if you do not qualify for the free federal return or if you are only filing your state tax return with a particular website.
- iCANFreeFile = FREE!
- TaxSlayer = FREE! for IRS free file alliance states. Otherwise, $4.95.
- TurboTax Freedom Edition = FREE if in a IRS free filing alliance state. If not, then $14.95.
- Online Taxes at olt.com = Free if age 20 years or younger. If not, then $7.95
- H&R Block Free File = FREE if lived or had income in the following states: MI, MO, NC, NY, OK, OR, VA. Otherwise, $14.95.
- Free TaxACT = $14.95
- OnlineTaxPros.com = $14.95
- Free1040TaxReturns = $39.95
- Free Tax Return = $14.99
- TaxSimple = $24.95
- efiletaxreturns = $22.95
- FileYourTaxes = $23.50
- ezTaxReturn = $19.95
- FreeTaxUSA IRS Free File Edition = $9.95
- eSmartTax powered by CompleteTax = $19.95
- 1040NOW.net = $17.95
- 123Easytaxfiling = $14.95
A particular free file member usually does not support all the states. For example a provider is setup to e-file federal returns, but it may not support e-filing for all states. Also some states do not support e-filing for part year residents. This is where you will have to do some research and check which website supports e-filing for your state before you start filing.