Tax Slayer is a part of the IRS free file alliance and offers free federal return as well as free state return filing with a few qualifiers. Free federal tax return preparation and e-file is available if you are filing a 1040-EZ form. A 1040-EZ includes:
- Single or Married filing joint filing status
- no dependents,
- no adjustments to income,
- less then 65 years of age and not blind,
- received income only in the form of wages, tips, salaries, unemployment compensation, taxable scholarship or fellowship grants, taxable interest income not more than $1500.
- taxable income less than 100,000 and
- the only credits being claimed can be EIC and making work pay.
Filing is also free for all Active Duty Military. Also your return is free if you qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit or if your AGI is 10,000 or less regardless of age. This free federal and state filing offer is valid only if you live in one of the following states:
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- West Virginia
Tax Slayer is safe to use.
How to File Tax Return for Free with Tax Slayer:
When you click on the start button you will need to follow the following steps:
- Firstly, when you click on the green button saying “free file” a secure connection would be established and you would be asked to create an account.
- You will receive a verification email. After verifying your email address you will be able to sign in to your account.
- Once you are signed in you will be asked to enter your social security number.
- Then you will be asked to choose your filing status. If you are not sure, there is help available on the page. Just click the help option and it will give you an explanation of all the filing status options.
- Then you will need to fill in your basic information and W2 information. You will have the option to choose if you want to enter the information through the step-by-step guide of the website or directly enter the information by selecting the manual option.
- It will show you your refund amount at top right hand side corner of the screen at all times.
- After you are done you will have the option to e-file or paper file the return.
E-file is fast, safe and secure. You also receive an email from the IRS acknowledging that your e-file tax return was accepted by them. Paper returns have to be mailed in to the IRS. The website also gives you the option to save and continue the return at a later time. You also can choose how to get your refund. You can get the refund as a check or direct deposit to your bank account.
You also have an option to file a free extension. But remember filing an extension only gives you more time to file your tax return. But if you owe money to the IRS, the extension does not give you extra time to pay the money you owe. If you do not pay the money you owe by the end of tax season (18th April this year), you will start incurring penalties and interest on the amount you owe.
On right side of your screen you will see the options contact and notes. Contact can be used when you have any questions or issues during the process of filing. You can send an email to customer service with your questions or queries and you will receive an answer almost immediately. Notes option lets you make notes on any particular page. So when you come back to that page later you will remember that you wanted to get more information on that topic.
Tax Slayer is a secure website. The interface is easy to understand and simple to navigate. So give it a try and if you are satisfied you can choose to file through the website.