VirusTotal (VT) Uploader is free software to upload files to VirusTotal to detect worms, Trojans, virus and any kind of threats in suspicious files and URLs. VirusTotal uses multiple antivirus engines to scan suspicious files. You can just browse to VirusTotal website and upload the file for scanning. However, free uploader provided by VirusTotal makes the process even more easier. After installting this free uploader, you can just right click on any file on your PC, and choose to Send it to VirusTotal for analysis.
However, VT should not be misunderstood as a free antivirus software, since it scans file in your system only on demand and do not prevent your system from permanent threats.
Here are main features of VirusTotal Uploader
- Free and independent service
- Runs multiple antivirus engines
- Updated definition of virus, for reliable detection
- Detail analysis report
- Supports inspection toolbar for more than one web page
- Supports real time global statistics
How does VT Uploader work?
The uploader is very easy to operate, as you can scan your file for threats in two ways:
- firstly, logon to main analysis site and select folder of your system which is required to be scan and click send tab. As we suffer from web threats a lot, it’s Get and upload online-feature is very useful for threat detection or
- secondly, you can download VT Uploader software in your Pc and select file of max 20MB for scan, press right click and opt for send to option from drop down menu to VirusTotal for scanning. You can also drag and drop your files to VT Uploader’s frame.
The scan results are displayed on your browser. It provides detail analysis report on scanned file giving you information about the detected threats in file, if any. Also some of the malware disguises themselves in on running processes and not in files such malware are often called as active malwares. Such active malware can also be detected with VT Uploader by opting for Upload Process executable tab, where VT Uploader will read process image file and send it to VirusTotal.
For active protection, you can use a free antivirus software like free AVG antivirus, free Avast antivirus, and free Microsoft Security Essentials.