Redmine is a free self-hosted online project management software that you can install on your server, and access online from any browser. Redmine is an open source project management software, and is perfect for organizations that do not want to use tools like Deskaway and LessProjects that store data on third party servers. Those organizations can use Redmine. It can be hosted on your own servers, and still provides all the benefits of a web based project management software.
Redmine comes with a basic, but easy to use interface. It is organized around the idea of managing projects. On your dashboard, you can see all the active projects, alongwith project start date, and project description. You can also create new projects here, with an option to copy an existing project to create a new project.
Redmine lets you setup multiple users who can work on projects. Different roles can be assigned to users. You can also lock a user account at any time to prevent a user from logging into Redmine any more.
Also check out other free online project management software.
Here are some of the features of Redmine:
- Redmine lets you manage multiple projects together.
- You can setup multiple users, and assign them different roles in different projects.
- You can mark different projects as public and private.
- Redmine comes with various modules, like, wiki, issue tracking etc., and you can selectively enable or disable any module.
- You can create subprojects in a project. This is a useful option to manage similar projects together.
- Redmine comes with an advanced role creator that lets you create your own roles.
- Redmine also comes with advanced issue tracking system that lets you create your own statuses, set and change priority of issues, and define workflow for each type of issue.
- Redmine also lets you track time, though I prefer automatic time tracking software.
- Redmine also lets you per project wiki.
- It comes with LDAP support.
- Redmine can run on multiple OS, including Windows, and Linux. It can also run on multiple databases, like, MySQL, PostgreSQL, or SQLite.
If you want a downloadable project management software, you can try one of these free alternative to Microsoft Project.
Redmine is completely free, open source, easy to install, and easy to configure web based project management software.
Download Redmine free.