VidCoder, a freeware, is a powerful tool that can rip DVD and transcode videos for windows. This application rips DVDs to MP4, MKV video file formats or AAC, MP3, Vorbis or AC3 audio file formats. It can even convert regular files like AVI to file formats supported by ipods/iphones, so you do not need a separate video to ipod converter.
The encoding engine used in VidCoder is HandBrake and therefore, it doesn’t need to be separately installed. Since VidCoder is based on HandBrake, its performance is almost the same as HandBrake but the GUI is much better.
VidCoder allows its users to change parameters like video resolution, bit rate etc for better results. It has a two pass encoding method so that the output files are of good quality.
Also Read: 5 Best Free CD/DVD Rippers
Features of VidCoder Free DVD Ripper:
- It has an uncomplicated and smooth interface
- Offers batch encoding
- User can pause and resume encoding when desired
- Multithreading allows faster transcoding of videos
- Even converts .avi formats to MPEG4/MKV formats
- User can create preview clips
- Resizing, cropping, bit rate adjustments are also possible in VidCoder
All in all, VidCoder is a simple to use tool which can rip DVDs to formats which are much smaller in size and are device (ipod/iphone/laptop/computer) friendly.