VirtualBox is an Open Source Free Virtualization software. It can be used as a completely free replacement for the popular virtualization software VMWare.
VirtualBox is a powerful virtualization (x86) product for enterprise and home use. It’s a high performance product for business enterprises and is packed with features. VirtualBox is dedicatedly supported by Sun Microsystems. This ensures that it always meet professional quality criteria.
VirtualBox runs on Windows, Macintosh, Linux, and OpenSolaris hosts. Plus, it supports a large number of guest operating systems, like Windows (Windows7, Vista, Server 2003, XP, 2000, NT 4.0, Linux (2.6 and 2.4), DOS/Windows 3.x, OpenSolaris and Solaris, and OpenBSD.
Some of the home based uses of VirtualBox are to run Windows on Mac or Linux for Free, and run Linux on Windows for free.
Here are some Key Features of VirtualBox:
- Free virtualization application.
- Extends the ability of existing system to run multiple Operating Systems in virtual environment.
- Cross-platform support.
- Compatible with a large number of 32 & 64-bit Operating Systems.
- Doesn’t require any additional hardware.
- Guest multiprocessing with upt0 32 virtual CPUs per virtual machine.
- Virtual USB controller support.
- Provide support for many virtual hardware devices like SCSI and SATA hard disk controllers, network and sound cards, series or parallel ports, I/O controllers, etc.
- Full support for ACPI and iSCSI.
- Supports installing guest additions for automatic adjustment of video resolutions, accelerated 3D graphics, seamless windows, etc.
- Allows communication among host systems for data exchange.
- Save snapshots of arbitrary states of virtual machines.
- Options to organize virtual machines collectively.
- Allows remotely accessing any running virtual machine.
- Clean architecture and modular design.
- Simple yet powerful app.
All these features make VirtualBox a completely suitable free software for all type of enterprise uses. Download free and give it a try!