Swiftfox is a free Firefox based browser for Linux that is a good alternative for Firefox for Linux. It contains a set of software builds of Mozilla Firefox. It is written to maximize efficiency on Intel and AMD microprocessors. Swiftfox can be downloaded in open source code and proprietary binaries. Of course, the add-ons of Mozilla Firefox are compliant with Swiftfox. So, if you are a Linux user, and want a good version of Firefox, Swiftfox can be a good alternative.
The browser’s name is derived from the Swift Fox animal. There are several technical differences between Swiftfox and Firefox. It is compiled with -O3. –O3 is the highest level of compiler optimization. The binary of Swiftfox is bigger than that of Firefox. -O3 has two more options than -O2 which are -finline-functions and -frename-registers.[subscribe-to-us]
Here are some of the features of Firefox Alternative:
- Compiled with the highest level optimization
- Compile with –O3.
- Optimized with different microprocessors including Intel, AMD64, Athlon XP, Athlon and K6-2.
- Uses GCC 4.0.4
- Offers higher security and avoid Buffer overflow attacks.
- Bundled with XForms extension. XForms extension is preinstalled and enabled in Swiftfox browser
- Swiftfox is bundled with the free libunixprintplugin.so plugin
If you want a free antivirus for Linux, try Avast Linux Home Edition.
Swiftfox is an open source browser that is licensed under MPL 1.1 excluding to the branded parts. Swiftfox has a proprietary binary license to avoid the Mozilla Firefox Trademark branding argument. Swiftfox binaries are available in Debian packages. Swiftfox is a free browser that is made available for everyone. Users are free to develop their own build.