Ubuntu One is a free cloud storage service that lets you store your files online, and sync between different computers. Ubuntu One offers an excellent suite of tools that help users to ensure that their digital life is as simple and easy to manage as possible. All of its features are geared towards putting all of your digital life in “the cloud” where it can be accessed from any computer, as long as it has an internet connection.
Here are some of the various tools included in the free all-in-one personal cloud suite:
- Personal cloud: A place to save, sync and share your files.
- Sync with other computers: Sync files in the cloud with those on any other computer.
- Share with contacts: Send files to your trusted friends and colleagues.
- Shorten URLs: Publish files with short URLs for ease of sharing online.
- Sync any folder in your home directory: Sync Documents, Music, Pictures etc by simply right clicking.
- Sync with Evolution: Integration with the Evolution email suite ensures that your address book is always available to you.
- Let your notes travel with you: Integrated with Ubuntu notes application and synching tools are available for Windows and Mac users.
- Synchronize: Integration with Firefox allows automatic synching.
The free all-in-one personal cloud suite is weighted heavily towards those with a Ubuntu operating system. There are some synchronization features available in paid version that support Windows and Mac, but those features are pretty limited.
So, if you have one or more Ubuntu computers, Ubuntu One is definitely a good choice. However, if you need to keep data in sync between Windows and Ubuntu computer, you are better off with Dropbox, or SpiderOak.
One particular use of Ubuntu one is for those who use Ubuntu Netbook Remix on their netbooks. This would help them keep data on their netbooks synced with other Ubuntu computers.