CleverDeck is a free iPhone flashcard app to learn Spanish, French, and Turkish. The app consists of about 3000 flashcards so that you can learn most important words easily. Each of the flashcard has an audio clip, high quality photo, and an example sentence for better understanding of the word. For the audio clip, the app includes voice over from professionally recorded native speaker of the language.
You can swipe on each flashcard to mark as: you remember its meaning, you don’t remember its meaning, or you remember it but not properly. On the basis of this, app decides which card you need to learn more and which one not. The app even lets you skip cards if you already know those words. You can search for any particular card by using the word in English or the language you are learning.
The app has divided cards into categories like Business, Politics, Sports, Food, Clothes, etc.. You can also add your own custom cards along with setting up the number of new cards you want to learn each day. You receive points for learning cards which can be used to unlock different rewards.
Note: The CleverDeck app has 3 separate apps for learning Spanish, French, and Turkish but way of learning is same in all of them. You can download each of them using the link given at end of this tutorial.
Using This iPhone Flashcard App to Learn Spanish, French, and Turkish:
As I mentioned above, CleverDeck has 3 separate apps for learning Spanish, French, and Turkish. So for this article, I will use CleverDeck Spanish app to explain. The steps are same for French and Turkish version of this app.
On launching the app, you have to select your level of proficiency in Spanish first. You can choose from: Noobie, Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced. The app displays flashcards to you on the basis of proficiency level selected by you.
After selecting the level, you will see the interface shown below, with flashcard displaying a word in English, and a related photo. You have to tap on flashcard to reverse it and to see its meaning in Spanish. Below the Spanish meaning, you will also see an example sentence to learn how to use the word. The example sentence is available in both English and Spanish. While tapping card, you will also hear an audio clip telling you the pronunciation of the word.
Now you can perform any of the following gesture to move to next flashcard:
- Swipe right to mark the card as remembered by you properly. These are cards are not shown to you too frequently.
- Swipe left to mark the card as can’t remember it. These cards are shown to you frequently until you remember them completely.
- Swipe up to mark the card as you can remember it but not properly. These cards are shown to you less frequently than those which you can’t remember properly but more frequently than those which you have remembered completely.
- Tap on trash icon at top left corner to remove flashcard permanently.
This way the app keeps a record of cards which you remember properly, can’t remember, and can remember but not properly. It helps app in deciding which cards needs to be repeated more frequently and which one less. For each of the card remembered by you properly, you earn points which can be used to unlock rewards.
Note: You can’t perform gestures on flashcards until you have tapped on them to reveal their hidden side.
This way you can go through all the flashcards available in the app and keep viewing them until you remember words properly.
Other Options of this iPhone Flashcard App to Learn Spanish, French, Turkish:
The app has different options to customize this app and check your progress. You have to tap on three bar icon at top right corner to get options. From here, you can check total points earned, number of total cards in deck, number of days in a row, and number of cards swiped by you.
Just below these stats, you will find options: Settings, Deck, and Spend Points.
- Settings: Under this option, you can choose the number of cards to show per day, enable/disable sound, study mode. study reminders, etc..
- Deck: Use this option to check categories and add cards. While adding cards, you only have to enter an English word, its meaning in language you are learning, and a photo related to the word.
- Spend Points: This is like a shop, from where you can buy rewards in exchange of points earned by you.
You may also like: Free Language Learning App for iPhone: Duolingo.
CleverDeck is a good iPhone flashcard app to learn Spanish, French, and Turkish. The app is fun and easy to use. The option to check flashcards on basis of categories and ability to add custom flashcards is awesome. Do give this app a try if you want to learn any of the supported language.