Duolingo is a free language learning app for iPhone which lets you learn German, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, and French. You can also learn English, if you already know one of the above mentioned languages. The app allows you to learn more than one language simultaneously. You get XP points whenever you pass a lesson. XP points help in unlocking the next chapter. You also get Lingots (Virtual Currency) to purchase extra features from the Duolingo store. The app uses same methods of their website like pictures, voice support etc. to teach the languages. You can also take tests to check your progress and view results in graphical form.
Key Features of This Language Learning App:
- Free to download and install.
- Learn 5 languages German, Spanish, French, Portuguese and Italian.
- You can also use any of the above mentioned 5 languages to learn English if you know any of them.
- Use your existing Duolingo account to continue your lesson from anywhere.
- The app is divided into various sections and sub-sections to make learning languages easy.
- Interactive quizzes to test your progress.
- You can redo the test to improve you performance.
- Switch between languages very easily if you are learning more than one language simultaneously.
- Earn XP points to go to next level and Lingots to purchase rewards from Shop/Store.
- Track your progress via graphs.
- Add friends to compete against them for the top spot in the leaderboard.
- No ads or hidden charges.
Drawbacks of This Language Learning App:
- Some features are missing from the app like Activity, Discussions, Notifications etc. which are available on the website.
- Some features are missing from the Duolingo store while they are available on website.
If you are looking for a language translator app, then click here.
Using This Language Learning App for iPhone:
The Duolingo app can be downloaded from the App Store or by clicking on the link given at the end of the review. You can sign-up for an account using Facebook or the Duolingo registration form. When you finish signing up, you will be asked to chose the language which you want to learn. If you are already using Duolingo through the website, you can sign-in with the same account and continue the lessons.
You have 6 languages to choose from: German, Spanish, French, Portuguese, English and Italian. When you have chosen the language, you will be shown the main window of the app, where you will see various sections explaining Basics, Phrases, Plurals, Questions, Conjunctions, Food, Animals and many more.
All these sections are explained in English, (unless you have chosen to learn English). All the sections are further divided into Lessons. In each lesson, you get to learn through pictures, audio questions, fill in the blanks etc. You have to answer questions and give all the answers correctly to go to next level.
The fun part is that you have 4 hearts as life in the app. One heart is removed every time you give a wrong answer to any question. So your aim is to answer as many questions correctly as possible.
This app uses very interactive methods to teach you the languages. It starts with telling you about the basic things related to the Lesson going on at that time. You are told about the language using various interactive ways, like pictures and audio files. You have to give answers to questions related to each lesson which had been taught to you. The questions can be of the following forms: Multiple choice questions, Fill in the blanks, Word meaning along with pictures and using voice support.
You can track your progress by answering questions, and get instant results. The results are shown to you in the form of graphical representation. You are awarded with XP points whenever you complete a lesson. These XP points can also be used to get extra rewards from the shop.
You can also check some other language learning software reviewed by us here.
I found Duolingo just like my personal language teacher as it explains everything in a unique and interactive manner. I liked the functionality of voice support very much. It helped me to learn the accent of the language. It is a very good app which makes language learning a fun activity.
Get the Duolingo app by clicking here.