RasterVect Free Edition is a free software that converts raster files to vector files. It quickly converts scanned pictures, which are not editable, to vector files for editing. Such uneditable files are composed of arrays of pixels and are called raster or bitmap images.
We recently wrote about a software that can rasterize images. RasterVect takes Raster images and converts them to vector images.
Vector files are made of geometrical shapes such as points, lines, curves, circles, polygons, bezigons etc. Since, all these geometrical shapes are based on mathematical equations it is easier to manipulate or modify them. Vector images can be moved, rotated, mirrored, stretched or skewed with ease. On the contrary, raster files cannot be modified to an arbitrary resolution without loss of quality.
How to use RasterVect:
RasterVect is very simple to use. It just requires a raster file for conversion. Therefore, if a user has a paper drawing then he must first scan the image to create a raster file. This raster file is easily and quickly converted to a vector image file by RasterVect, which can subsequently be imported by editing programs for further modifications.
Some of the features of RasterVect Free Edition:
- Enables editing of bitmap/raster files by converting them to vector files
- Offers a variety of editing options
- It has viewing tools like – zooming, color selection and scrolling
- Most of the file editing programs support vector formats (DXF, EPS, WMF, EMF and AI)
- Using RasterVect for editing saves a lot of time
- It is an amazing replacement for age old copying and digitizing methods
Once you have converted raster image to vector, you can modify it using vector graphics editors like Inkscape, DrawPlus, and Drawberry.