SongBird is a free Media player for Mac. This open source media player is packed with amazing features which allow you to enjoy your media in a whole new way.
This media player for Mac comes with lot of plugins and extensions that make this application even better. This application uses Firefox engine to deal with the web part; which is used to show information and load up pages.
Update: This application has been discontinued. However, it is still available at some of the download sites. The links in this review have been updated to point to download sites.
The interface of this application is similar to that of iTunes, which makes the learning curve easy for anyone who is new to SongBird. The application’s layout can be changed and customized according to one’s need. The application is a must for serious music lovers. It gives details about the artists by downloading artist details, photo gallery, video from Youtube, and news related to the band or the artist.
One thing I liked about the application is the ability to follow artists from within the application by using the feature called SongBird.me. This allows you to get news and latest information about your favorite artist effortlessly. You can sign in with your Facebook which makes it even easier to use this service.
If you wanted this application for Windows click here.
How to install SongBird for Mac:
To download SongBird click here. The application is just over 25 MB. After the download is completed, open the installer by double clicking on the downloaded file. Now just drag the SongBird application into the Application folder and you are done with the installation part.
To open the application just find it in the application folder and click on it. SongBird will open with a licence agreement. Agree with it, after this it will ask you if you want to import and export from iTunes. Do enable them if you would like to do so.
As the application is famous for plugins, so when you open up the application for the first time SongBird will recommend some of the most common and best plugins. I would recommend that you install these plugins because it really enhances the player features and adds new ones. After all this, SongBird will start adding plugins one by one and after a while a window will appear as shown below.
Features of SongBird for Mac OS X:
- In brief, the application lets you play music, video, share playlists with your friends, lets find out where a band or an artist is currently performing.
- Songbird also lets you get your artist info from the Internet so that it can make your music library look a little better. You can also add album art manually by dropping an image into the box on the lower left corner of the application window.
- The application allows you to access and purchase music from sites like 7digital. Plus the application allows you to play online radio like SHOUTCast etc.
- The audio formats that SongBirds supports includes WAV, MP3, OGG, FLAC, AAC, and WMA. This makes it really easy to play music that is in different formats.
- You can rip tracks from your favorite CD’s and import it into SongBird. So, you can play and carry your music on a mobile device by syncing the desktop and mobile SongBirds.
- The awesomeness does not stop here; the application also supports video playback which includes formats like: MPEG4, H.264, and Windows Media Video. The video player pops out of the application as shown below.
- This media player for Mac lets you transfer media to devices that have SongBird installed on them or directly export the music the SD card. Also it can sync with your iDevice with the help of iTunes.
- Songbirds can be skinned, the skins here are called feathers. There is a huge list of skins that have been developed for this application.
This is one of the best media solution available for Mac. It is highly customizable media player that comes with all kind of goodies. This application keeps you updated with all the information and news about your favorite artists and bands. This application is a must have for a true music lover.