PopSQL is a free collaborative SQL editor for teams. This SQL editor lets you write SQL while collaborating with your team. It supports various popular databases like MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQL Server, Cassendra, etc. You can connect to any database remotely and run SQL queries. You can then share those queries with your team members. And the software lets you do that in a very easy way. In the free version, you can add upto 5 members in your team.
The query that you share reaches your teammates in the exact manner as it appears on your end. And after that, they can see or edit the query if you have allowed that. Also, you can share an editable query so your teammates can make changes to it. Also, you can opt to share credentials of the database as well that you have.
So, let’s see how PopSQL provides team collaboration.
Main Features of PopSQL, a Collaborative SQL Editor:
PopSQL comes with a very nice user interface where you can organize queries in folders. You can also rename folders and the queries. The query result that you have obtained can be exported in CSV, JSON formats to any folder you like. I have already mentioned that you can connect to many popular databases and manipulate them from its interface. You can connect to both local as well as remote databases. If you want, you can use some free online MySQL databases for testing.
Here are some key features of this free Collaborative SQL Editor Software:
- Multiple Databases Support: PopSQL natively supports MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQL Server like databases to connect to. And you can selectively share connection credentials with your team members directly.
- Query Autocomplete: As you type the query, the software tries to auto complete it by suggesting the keywords, table name, column names, etc.
- Share queries and results via URL: The software allows you to share query result in two modes. You can share a query with the result in view mode as well in edit mode. In edit mode, your teammates will be able to modify the query and its results.
- Table and Schema Preview: After connecting to a database, you can view the all the tables and schema as you see in any popular database IDEs, like MongoDB IDE.
- Export Result: After running a specific query and getting the corresponding result, you can export it as a CSV or JSON file.
- Toggle Interface View: The software allows you to toggle various sections of the software in various views. For example, by default the SQL result section is on the right side of its interface. But you can opt to attach it at the bottom.
How to use this Free Collaborative SQL Editor for Windows?
Getting started with PopSQL is very easy. And if you are familiar with handling a SQL editor software, then you will easily learn to use it. Also, it has a pretty clean interface which will not bother you while using it. You can download it from the link available at the end of this article.
Here are the steps to use this free collaborative SQL editor for Windows.
Step 1: When you run the software for the first time, it will ask you to login via your Google account. After that you will redirected to its interface.
Step 2: Add your team members either by inviting them via their email address or they will be automatically added to your team if they are using the same organization name. To add a member, use the File > Preference menu of the software.
Step 3: You can add database connections using the Manage Connections option which at the top side of the software.
Step 4: After connecting to your database, you can use the SQL editor section to run SQL queries. It places the query result on the right side of its interface.
Step 5: To share the query result, click on the Share button from the top right side. After that, it will show you various options to share the query. You can share the query in only view mode and in edit mode. All the changes that one team member makes in the editable query will also reflect at your end. All the queries that you have shared or are shared with you can be seen under the Shared queries folder.
You can name your query and then share. And in the interface of the person who is in your team will receive that query with the result and with the same name in his Shared queries folder.
PopSQL makes it pretty simple to work on a database with your team. You can easily connect to a database and share the query result with your teammates. So, if you often work with in group in some database related task, then you can try PopSQL.