tresorit is a free cloud storage service that provides 5GB free online storage space to backup of important data. This free storage space can grow upto 16 GB by inviting friends and installing it to mobile devices. You will be able to add multiple folders (max. 5 folders, known as tresor) on its interface and can create automatic online backup of those folders with automatic syncing. Data uploaded by you remains private to you, as backup of data is stored in encrypted form.
Apart from backing up data online, it lets you share any folder created by you with friends, who have an account with tresorit. One big drawback about this data storage service is that it doesn’t provide any online login to access data. Only supported devices (Windows, Mac OSX, Android, iPhone etc.) can be used to access stored data.
Above screenshot shows its interface where you can add folders (tresors) to perform backup and data sync.
Note: This free version is limited to only few GBs storage space with max. file size 0.5 GB. Paid version of tresorit is also available with valuable features. Like, it offers 100+ GB free storage space with 2 GB max. file size, unlimited sharable folders, etc. You can switch to paid version whenever required, for more space and for extra features.
Features of Tresorit Online File Backup Service:
- A secure data backup and automatic syncing service. AES-256 client side encryption and TLS channel protection is available for data security.
- An open hacking challenge is presented by service. It has offered to pay $25,000 to anyone who hacks them. So, they seem pretty confident of their security.
- It provides its own Tresors folder icon, just like Dropbox, on Windows explorer where all your tresors will be available to use.
- Using its system tray icon, you can view the list of recently changed files. Tray icon also helps to access settings window of tresorit to adjust general settings, account related settings, etc.
- Free storage space can be increased by inviting a friend and by installing its mobile app (500 MB for each task) on your smartphone.
- If you don’t want to share a whole folder, then you can even generate encrypted links for items (stored in that folder only) that you want to share with a person.
How To Use This Free Cloud Storage Service?
Download its application file on PC and install it. It is around 10 MB in size and link for its download is available at the end of this review. After installation, sign up by creating a free account, and you will receive 5 GB space immediately.
On its interface, your account name’s tresor will be created by default, which you can use to add items that you want to backup securely. To create your own tresor, just use New Tresor option or simply drag n drop a folder from PC (not more than 0.5 GB size) to its interface. In the similar way, you can add multiple folders (up to 5 folders).
Now whenever you will add or remove any item from any tresor, it will automatically update in cloud as well. All tresors along with their items can be accessed from any supported device. Just you need to install the application and sign in with same login credentials.
Share Tresors With Friends:
To share any of the added tresor, simply use share button, and provide the email address of a person to share. Once the invitation will be accepted by the other side, then sharing of tresor will become successful, and both of you will be able to access items of that tresor.
One important option available here is that you can set authentication rule for person before sharing the tresor. That means, you can set whether the person can only view the items, can edit them, or can completely manage the whole tresor.
tresorit is quite useful cloud storage service and comes with strong cloud storage solution. However, it should provide online access of added data, so that users can access their data from anywhere.