Bing Wikipedia Browser is a free Wikipedia Search app for Windows 8 published by Microsoft Corporation. The app brings the articles of Wikipedia with enhanced search, and content recommendation using the Bing tools known as Bing Knowledge Repository. Bing Wikipedia Browser lets you search any Wikipedia article. It takes data from Wikipedia and provides different options to filter your searched article like: share page, change font, search history, Find any word or sentence in that page, Add to favorites, Recommendations and many more things as you can see in Bing. I personally find this app much better than official Wikipedia app for Windows 8.
This app also provides three different categories on the home screen: Featured, Contents, and Favorites.
- Featured category shows different sub-categories like: Today’s featured article, In the news, On this day (history about the date of every day), Did you know, etc..
- Contents category basically shows the format in which all the articles are written with details of each Topic and Sub-Topics.
- Favorites category shows the articles which you have marked as favorite.
Key Features of Bing Wikipedia Browser Search App For Windows 8:
- Search and browse Wikipedia articles in a very simple way with enhanced tools.
- Find related topics with a recommendation bar.
- Flip through all the images of your searched article.
- Share topics with your friends.
- Add any article to your favorite to directly open it from home screen of the app.
- Change font of articles as per your comfort.
- View search history.
Different Options Available In Bing Wikipedia Browser Windows 8 Search App:
You can get Bing Wikipedia Browser app free on Windows Store or use link given at the end of this review.
After launching the app, you will find a Search box. Type the name of your topic within the box to search article on that particular topic.
On the next screen, you will find the article on that topic with different options shown, as in the screenshot below.
- Recommendation: This icon on the bottom left of the screen shows the article related to topic searched by you.
- Images in the page option to flip through all the images available in that article. To view next image, scroll right over the opened image.
- Table of Contents option lets you view the sub-topics of that article. You can click on any sub-topic to read it without scrolling down.
- Few other options available within the article details page are: Add To Favorites, Share this page, Find on this page, Read in another language, Open in browser, Adjust font size, and Clear history .
Other Features of this Windows 8 Wikipedia Search App:
Just below the search button at the home screen of the app, you will find three different categories (as shown in above screen shot): Featured, Contents, and Favorites.
- Featured: You can find different sub-categories like: Today’s featured article, In the news, On this day (history about the date of every day), Did you know, Today’s featured picture with details about that picture etc.. You can also view the details of different indexes (portals) of Wikipedia, like: History, Arts, Mathematics, Geography, Science, etc.. scroll down to see more sub-categories.<
- Contents: category basically shows the format in which all the articles are written with details of each Topic and Sub-Topics. You can also view the format of articles of different indexes (portals) of Wikipedia, like: History, Arts, Mathematics, Geography, Science, etc..
- Favorites: category shows the articles which you have marked as favorite.
Bing Wikipedia Browser is one of the best apps for Windows 8 to search Wikipedia articles. This app combines the contents of Wikipedia with the tools of Bing. The different tools like Share page and Read in another language makes the app more useful. I personally find this app to very interesting and quite useful for me. If you are looking for an app for your Windows 8 to read Wikipedia articles in a better way, then you will definitely like it.