BitPim is a free software that lets you to view and manipulate data on almost all CDMA phones from LG, Samsung, Sanyo and other manufacturers. The features includes the Phonebook, Calendar, Wallpapers, Ringtones (functionality varies by phone) and the File system for most Qualcomm CDMA chipset based phones.
BitPim is distributed as open source and free software under the GNU General Public License.
What All You Need :
- A cell phone that BitPim can interact with (details).
- A cable that plugs into your computer and your cellphone. The page for your cell phone lists details of the cables.
- Windows users require a driver for the cable. This driver is usually supplied by the supplier/manufacturer of the cable. Drivers may also be available online from the manufacturer of the cable or the phone. Mac OS X and most recent Linux distributions include the drivers, if required.
How to View Data on the Phone with BitPim:
- Firstly you need to tell BitPim which phone model you’re using. Bitpim will try to detect your phone when you run it for the first time.
- If the above fails or you change the phone you are using you can tell BitPim to detect your phone again by clicking on the detect phone button on the toolbar or selecting “Edit” -> “Detect Phone” from the menu.
- If Auto-detect fails, BitPim gives you the option to open the Settings dialog so that you can configure your phone manually. Press the Phone Wizard button in the Settings dialog to have BitPim help you choose your phone and it’s connection to your computer.
- Next, press the “Get Data button” on the toolbar or select “Data” -> “Get Phone Data” from the menu to get all the data from the phone.
How to Edit Data on Phone with BitPim:
There is a tree view on the main screen. Selecting an item in the tree allows you to view the contents of a specific feature.
- Select an item in the tree on the left hand side to view and edit it’s data.
- The Wallpaper and Ringtones work seamlessly by just dragging and dropping new files into BitPim or by right clicking on the desired item to get a menu.
- For phone book and calendar, you double click on the item you want to edit.
When you are happy with changes you have made you can send them to the phone by clicking on the “send to phone” button.
How to Send Data to Phone with BitPim:
After clicking on the “Send to phone” option you will get the following options :
- In the left column you can choose what to send.
- In the right hand columns, you have a choice of adding or replacing the data.
- Add : The items you have in BitPim will be added to those already on the phone.
- Replace : All items in BitPim will replace those in the same category on the phone. All others will be removed.
BitPim automatically saves all changes to your hard disk. There is no need to manually save or load information from disk.
To see the list of phones BitPim doesnt support and when will they be supported, the ones that are already supported and which features are supported, see online help.
BitPim is written in a programming language named Python. It runs quite well on many different platforms, Python also has that most important feature of being easy to read. It is also very easy to learn, and being very productive. You must use Python 2.5 to run BitPim. Linux already comes with Python. MacOS X 10.3 does as well. For other platforms, grab it from www.python.org.
The BitPim is available for the following operating systems :
- Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7
- Linux RPM
- MacOS X 10.3+ (Universal)
Download BitPim free.