Debug Diagnostic tool (DebugDiag) is a free tool that assists the user in troubleshooting issues such as hangs, poor performance and memory leaks/ Fragmentation in any user mode process. Also this tool includes additional debugging scripts for IIS based applications and components related to Microsoft Technologies like COM, sharepoint and .NET framework.
Debug diagnostic tool is available for download at Microsoft.com and the size of the installer is just about 15MB. This is capable of being run on various versions of Windows Operating systems from 2003 upwards. A Detailed documentation of the tool is available on the website, using which the users can understand the procedure to operate with this tool.
This tool is essentially made up of 3 components viz., Debugging service, Debugging host and the UI. The debugging service performs the following tasks:
- Attach/Detach the host and inject leak monitor into the processes.
- Collect performance monitor data and show the state of each rule defined.
Some of the salient features of DebugDiag are:
- This tool has Sharepoint analysis and Performance analysis scripts integrated into it .
- .Net memory analysis scripts and higher level .Net2.0 crash hang analysis scripts are integrated into it as well.
- This tool generates userdumps and report the generated userdumps to the event log.
- Also this tool has performance rule definitions and breakpoint support for the users to know the exact source of performance issues and thereby helping rectify them.
- The users can deploy this tool at the enterprise level and report the rules and configuration to the Direct Push remote servers.
All these features make Debug Diag a great tool to analyse and understand the performance issues while trouble shooting any User process.