Free File Camouflage is a free file encryption software. It enables you to hide confidential data or files inside a jpeg file, protecting them from prying eyes in the best possible way. Files are generally encrypted using AES and are hidden inside a jpeg image.
Encrypting a file is extremely useful for those who do not want their important files or a project to be seen by any of their friends or colleagues. Free File Camouflage allows you to encrypt files by hiding them under a jpeg image. You also have the option to password protect your encrypted files. This password will be required while decrypting camouflaged files. It means you will be able to access the locked or hidden file only if you enter the password. You can also attach a camouflaged file in an email message.
Here is how to camouflage or encrypt file:
- Once you have installed the software, open it
- Browse and upload a file that you want to hide under the column “File to hide”
- Browse and specify a jpeg image which you want to use as a cover up under the column “Jpeg image”
- Type a code under the column “Use a custom password to encrypt or decrypt file”. However, this is optional.
- Click on “Camouflage”
You have successfully camouflaged your file. Take a look at an image below in order to get familiar with it:
If you clicked the check box to integrate Free File Camouflage in explorer “Send to” menu, then your job becomes much easier. Just right-click on the file you want to encrypt or decrypt. Go to the “Send To” option and in the pop-up menu you will be able to select an option of your choice. Select encrypt or decrypt using a standard password or specifying a new password. Tada, all done.
Here is how to De-camouflage or Decrypt file:
- In order to De-Camouflage or Decrypt encrypted file, click on De-Camouflage tab.
- Browse and upload the Jpeg image to de-camouflage.
- Type the password to decrypt a file
- Click on “De-Camouflage”.
You must be thinking what will happen if someone else tries to open a camouflaged file. Well, he will be able to view only the jpeg image you have uploaded while camouflaging it.
In order to get started with Free File Camouflage, you need to give a couple of seconds to its download and installation process.
Here is how to download Free File Camouflage:
- Go onto the website
- Click on “Download”
- Save the Zip file.
- Extract the Zip file to run the exe file.
- Click on “Run”
Yup…you are done. Start protecting all your important files quickly.
- Windows XP
- Windows Vista
- Windows 7 (32 & 64 bit)
- .NET Framework 2.0 required
In short, Free File Camouflage is a good tool for data security or file encryption. You can easily hide your files from people using your computer. Go ahead and protect your data.