Lorien is a Free open-source Whiteboard and Note-taking App that is very easy to use and built for simplicity. It is entirely developed in Godot that is a free cross-platform, game engine released under the MIT license.
Unlike Photoshop and other raster graphics applications, Lorien is not based on bitmap images. It saves brush strokes and other graphical elements as a collection of points and renders them at runtime, identical to Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG).
Lorien is chiefly designed to be used as a digital notebook that can be used to make small drafts and sketches or as a brainstorming tool to store your ideas in the form of diagrams.
The following are the important features of this application:
1. Unlimited canvas: There is no restriction to the size of the canvas.
2. Infinite undo and redo actions: No limit exists to the number of undo or redo actions that you can commit.
3. Zoom: The application allows an almost infinite level of Zoom.
4. Miniature files: Extremely small file sizes so conserve disk space.
5. SVG Export: Drawings can be exported in the popular SVG format.
6. Support for Pressure sensitivity in case you are using graphical tablets like Wacom etc.
7. Tools: Freehand brush, eraser, line tool, rectangle tool, circle/ellipse tool, selection tool.
8. Compatibility: Runs on Windows, Linux and macOS operating systems.
The interface is very neat and simple with all the tools arranged in the horizontal tool bar at the top. All the standard tools drawing tools like Freehand brush, Eraser, Line tool, Rectangle / Ellipse / Circle, Selection tool, Brush size and more are available from this toolbar.
You can click on the 3-lines icon at the top left and then click on ‘Settings’ to configure the default brush size, default canvas color, pressure sensitivity, appearance and more.
You can change the Canvas color using the relevant icon at the top right. Also, you can click on the Color palette icon to change the color of the lines and strokes that you draw.
Once you have finished drawing the diagram / sketch, you can choose to save it in the .lorien format which uses a very small file size. You can also choose to Export the file in the SVG format by clicking on the 3-lines icon and then clicking on ‘Export’.
Overall, Lorien is a good and extremely simple Whiteboard and Note taking application with ease of use and simplicity. An important feature that it provides is you can export the sketches to SVG format.
The application is portable and doesn’t require any installation but you must ensure that you have a 64 bit operating system of Windows. Click here to download the application and start taking notes and drawing sketches of your ideas.