Kanri is a free, modern, yet simple Kanban board application that you can download for Windows, MacOS and Linux. It has especially been developed with user experience in mind and enables you to create Kanban boards easily and quickly and manage your personal tasks right from the confines of your desktop without any internet connection.
Kanri boasts of a clean and elegant design and uses a familiar Kanban board layout that has been inspired by Trello. Since it saves your data in a JSON file you can import / export it if required to other installations of Kanri. You can customize the themes of your Kanban boards as well as further personalize them using background images, colors etc. Let us see how this product works.
How it Works:
1. Click on this link to download Kanri from GitHub. Windows users should download the setup file kanri_0.5.0_x64_en-US.msi ad install it in their system.
2. Launch the application once the installation has been completed and you will observe its empty dashboard.
3. To create your first board, click on the ‘+’ sign in the left sidebar, assign a name to it and click on ‘Create Board’. Repeat the same process to create as many boards as you like. Observe that all the boards will be displayed on the dashboard.
4. Click on any board to open it. You can view that three columns have been created by default with some sample cards.
5. To add a new card in any column, click on the corresponding option at the bottom of that column and type the title of the card.
6. Click on any card to open it and you will be able to edit all the things related to the card. To modify the card title, simply click on the existing title and edit it. You can also provide a detailed description of the card in the space provided.
7. To change the color of the card, use the color picker at the bottom.
8. Now to add a Task to the card, click on ‘Add Task’ and input its name. You can go ahead and create as many tasks as you like in each card.
9. All changes are saved automatically and when you are through with the above process, close the card window and observe that the changes are reflected on the dashboard. Repeat the above process for all your cards so that they remain updated.
10. To change the name of a column, simply click on the current name and modify it. You can create additional columns by clicking on the ‘+’ sign to the right of the last column.
11. To export the current board in the JSON format, just click on the 3-dots option at the top right of the dashboard, choose ‘Export Board’ and specify the file name.
12. Kanri allows you to customize the board by changing its background. For this, click on the ‘Change Background’ button at the top left, then click on ‘Add Background Image’ and upload the image file in PNG or JPG format.
13. You can also change the theme such as Light, Dark etc. by clicking on the ‘Settings’ icon at the bottom of the left sidebar. Kanri allows you to design your own custom theme by clicking on the ‘Custom’ button in the Settings windows.
14. To import you Kanban boards from other Kanri installations, Trello and KanbanElectron, click on the ‘Import / Export’ button at the bottom of the sidebar.
You must remember that this is a very early release of the product, hence it is highly advisable to make regular JSON exports to avoid any loss of data.
Kanri is a fine, easy-to-use Kanban Board application with a neat and simple interface. You can use it to manage your personal tasks without any internet connection and awards the users a very simple experience with a good UI.
Go ahead and try out the product and do write to us about what you feel. Click here to download Kanri from GitHub.