Here is the list of 5 free Postscript to PDF converter software.
PDF is a very commonly used document format today, whereas Postscript (.ps extension) is not as such popular. But, Postscript files can still be found on the web. To open them, you have to use a PostScript viewers. But, if you have to share those files with someone, you are better off converting Postscript files to PDF.
These 5 software can easily convert any single page or multi page Postscript file to PDF. Each of these software have their own unique features. Let’s go over each of these PS to PDF converters, starting with IrfanView, which is my personal favorite to convert Postscript to PDF.
IrfanView is a very well-known image viewer software. It is also the best software in this list to convert Postscript file to PDF format.
Before converting Postscript to PDF format, you need to download and copy its (IrfanView) plugin in its Plugins folder. You can download it from here. This will download a zip file. Unzip that and copy the extracted files to Plugins folder of IrfanView.
Converting Postscript to PDF is very simple using Irfanview. You need to simply open a Postscript file and then, save it in PDF format. Yep, that’s it.
Some other key features of this software are:
- It is available in portable version as well.
- It also lets you edit Postscript file before converting, editing features such as: add password protection, add watermark, resize, rotate, and flip the file.
- It can also convert Postscript into other formats, such as: JPG, PNG, BMP, etc.
- It is also the smallest software in this list, its downloadable zip file size is less than 2 MB.
You can read more about this software from here.
XnView is another very reliable and effective freeware to convert Postscript to PDF.
To convert Postscript to PDF in this software, you need to open a Postscript file and save it in PDF format.
It also provides many useful features while converting Postscript to PDF, such as: resizing, rotating, flipping, add watermark.
It can also be used as a dual pane Postscript viewer (I talked about its dual pane feature while talking about dual pane image viewers).
It setup file is less than 15MB and it provides many other features, you can read its full review here.
PDFill is a very feature-rich collection of PDF tools. It provides many useful PDF tools. One such tool is Convert Postscript into PDF format.
Converting Postscript to PDF is a three-step process in this software:
- On its main interface, select tool labeled Convert Postscript into PDF.
- Select a Postscript file.
- Save it in PDF format (While converting, you can also add password protection to PDF).
Some other very useful tools, this software provides are: add watermark to PDF, rotate or crop PDF, convert images to PDF, etc. It setup file size is just above 10 MB.
For further details, read its full review here.
GSview is primarily a Postscript file viewer. But it also provides feature to convert Postscript to PDF format.
Steps to convert Postscript file to PDF format are:
- Open a Postscript file.
- Click on the File option from GSview menu bar, and select Convert option. You can skip this step by pressing F (shortcut key).
- Save it in PDF format.
Some other important features of this software are:
- It can also convert Postscript file to other output format, such as: BMP, JPG, PNG, TIFF, etc.
- It also provides features to convert single page Postscript file to EPS (Encapsulated Postscript File).
- It can extract single page Postscript file from multi page Postscript file.
- It is a small software with setup file size is less than 2 MB.
Note: PDF are not saved with .pdf file extension. But don’t worry, they can be easily open with any PDF reader, and you can also change file extension manually.
FreePDF is the simplest software in this list for converting Postscript to PDF, because its main features is to convert ps or prn file to PDF format.
You need to simply open a Postscript file and it will automatically convert it into PDF format.
It also provides two PDF editing features: merge PDF and add password protection. It is a small software with setup file size less than 3 MB.
To conclude, above 5 are my favorite picks for converting Postscript to PDF format. They all are very different from each other, but they all are very useful. If you want to edit and convert Postscript file into PDF format, I would recommend you IrfanView and XnView.