The Weather Network App is a free software that shows local weather forecasts and weather information with accuracy and precision. It’s like a mini weather station that provides information on current weather conditions, expected temperature for next 12 to 24 hours, forecast information for next five days, and the expected temperature and weather conditions for next 14 days. It takes up the Postal code of the country region and displays the hyper weather information covering an area of 1 KM or 0.6 miles.
The Weather Network App needs to be connected to the internet to pull the latest weather information from the servers. It provides detailed information on temperature conditions at different time intervals, including current temperature, feels like temperature, humidity, wind, air quality, pressure, probability of precipitation (P.O.P), UV readings, and rain and/or snow accumulation. The weather information gets automatically updated every 15 minutes. To manually get the updated information, you can refresh the App window while the application is opened.
Apart from showing weather information, it also lets you connect to it’s satellite and RADAR station, and shows location maps that covers your city and nearby areas at a radius of 60 KM. You can click on any area to view the radar precipitation, cloud cover, and past and forecasted precipitations of the selected region.
You can also watch videos covering the latest weather news report and regional or long-range forecasts. Plus, you can get alerts and warnings right on your desktop screen when severe weather approaches.
Download and Install The Weather Network App:
The Weather Network App is a small application: just 436 KB in size. You can download the setup file from the website and install it to your computer, by following simple instructions. While installing the app, you need to add your location to get weather information of your area when the application opens. You can add up to 10 locations on startup, and can later remove any location if your want. It uses a PointCast technology that provides precise weather information and weekly forecasts of a region on entering it’s POSTAL code.
When you enter the POSTAL code of a country region, it searches it’s database for that region and displays a list of regions covering an area of 1 KM or 0.6 miles, including that region. You can also search for a location by typing it’s name in the search bar. You can add your location from this list and finish installing the app.
Get Weather Information and Forecasts on your Desktop:
When you run the app, it will open separate windows to show weather information of all the selected regions. The window comprises of several tabs where you can find all your weather related information. Let’s have a look on each tab, one by one:
- The Today tab: This tab shows the local weather reports and short-term temperature changes, including current temperature, feels like temperature, humidity, wind, pressure, UV readings, air quality, rain and/or snow accumulation, and probability of precipitation (P.O.P).
- The 5 Day tab: This tab displays the forecast information for next five days including feels like temperature, expected temperature (high low both), wind, probability of precipitation (P.O.P), and air quality.
- The Hourly tab: Here you can find weather information on hourly basis, for next 12 to 24 hours.
- The 14 Day Trend tab: The 14 Day Trend tab features the expected high and low temperature for next 14 days. The information is available both in tabular and graphical form.
- The Satellite & Radar tab: This tab connects you to the app’s satellite and RADAR station, and shows location maps that covers your location and nearby areas at a radius of 60 KM. You can zoom the map and select any location to view the radar precipitation, cloud cover, and past and forecasted precipitations of the selected region.
- The Video On Demand tab: This tab features videos on weather news/forecast from The Weather Network. You can select any video on the right panel and watch it on integrated flash player.
- The Viewer Photos tab: This tab doesn’t show any weather information. Rather, it showcases a gallery where you can upload photos or view dozens of local photos uploaded by other users.
On minimizing, the app sits hidden in your system tray area from where you can move it to the taskbar to get instant weather updates.
Key Features of The Weather Network App:
- Complete Weather Information on PC: The Weather Network App provides complete weather information including current temperature, wind, feels like temperature, humidity air quality, pressure, UV readings, rain and/or snow accumulation, and probability of precipitation (P.O.P).
- Weather Forecasts: It shows hourly and short-term temperature changes, weather forecast for next 5 days, and the expected high and low temperature for next 14 days.
- Weather Alerts: It also gives desktop alerts and warnings in case of severe weather conditions.
- Location Search: You can now search beyond just a city. The Weather Network App lets you search by airport, school, golf course, park, or ski hill too.
- Weather Tracking for Multiple Locations: It can track weather information for up to 10 locations at a time.
- Video on Demand: You can optionally view videos covering the latest weather news reports and regional or long-range forecasts.
- Unit change Option: You can change the units of measurement separately, from Celsius to Fahrenheit or Miles to Kilometers.
- Viewer Photos: It also showcases a gallery where you can upload photos and view dozens of local photos uploaded by other Weather Network App users.
- Information Updates in every 15 Minutes: The Weather Network App pulls data every 15 minutes from it’s severs and updates the weather information on your PC.
- Maps: It also features interactive Satellite and Radar maps which you can zoom to get weather information of nearby areas at a radius of 60 KM from your location.
Also, check 5 free Weather Apps for iPad.
The Final Verdict:
The Weather Network App is a nice software that gives you precise information on current weather conditions and future weather forecasts in different regions of a country. It is a powerful app that you can use to get weather forecasts and plan your week in advance. Plus, you can get warning alerts right on your desktop in case of severe weather conditions. The only limitation it has is that it faces problems while connecting to the server and loading weather information. You may need to give several tries to make the connection if you have a low network connectivity. However, the makers have recommended to use a broadband connectivity to get smooth results.