Spencer is a free tool which lets you add Windows XP style start menu feature in Windows 8. This free and small tool assembles all the start menu entries like installed programs, control panel, power option, etc. so that you don’t have to look for them all over the place. All these options could be accessed from one place with the help of Spencer.
If you are a fan of classic Windows XP style start menu, then you can pin it into the taskbar of your Windows 8 device. It will not interfere with the start button of Windows 8. It also has the Windows icon on the start menu which makes it look authentic and adds more flavor to the Windows XP start menu experience.
In screenshot below, you can see start menu provided by this software that you can add to your Windows 8 taskbar.
This tool is really useful for all Windows 8 users who miss their beloved Windows XP Style start button in Windows 8. As we all know that Microsoft has removed the start button from the taskbar in Windows 8. It becomes a tedious task to access programs and to use other start menu items without start button in new version of Windows. But with this tool, you can bring back that start menu button into your taskbar.
Some of the Key Features of this Windows XP Start Menu
- Spencer is a light weight and simple tool.
- Provides classic Windows XP Style start menu in Windows 8.
- Free of any adware or malware.
- Easy Downloadable zip file size 429 KB.
- It is portable. Download it, and you don’t have to install it.
- It is only compatible with Windows 8 operating system.
- It automatically gets closed when other programs are given priority. Similar to the start menu functionality.
- You can also navigate to subfolders and files from folders represented in the menu.
- For a big program list, it provides up and down scroll button.
The above screenshot shows scrolling buttons used to scroll the programs in the start menu and sub folders/ files being accessed through folders.
I would recommend this tool to all the people who have started using Windows 8 and miss the Windows XP style start menu. Spencer is portable and neat tool to let you add Windows XP style start menu to Windows 8. This tool contains all the features of Windows XP start menu. Go ahead and give it a try.