If you are an early adopter and want to get a feel of this OS, then you can just run it in your Firefox browser using a simulator. In this post we will cover how to run the Firefox OS simulator but first let’s get to know about the operating system.
The company has introduced this operating system to introduce a mobile platform that is will give the users and the manufacturers freedom from proprietary mobile platforms and software. I know that Android is also billed as a open source operating system, but Google maintains its tight grip on it.
Currently, there are no devices that have been specifically developed for this operating (though, they are coming soon); but Firefox OS has been demonstrated on some Android smartphones. If you would like to see how this new operating system looks, feels, and also develop for it; then Mozilla has developed a simulator in the form of an simple addon for Firefox Browser. The extension lets you feel and see how this mobile mobile phone OS works, looks, and feels.
Steps to run Firefox OS In Firefox Browser:
- To get started we will download this extension from this link. The extension is a little large, around 60 MB, so it will take quite a bit of time to download than any usual Firefox extension.
- After you have successfully downloaded the addon, an installation window will popup. Now that you have installed the Firefox OS simulator, just click on the menu in Firefox and then navigate to the web developer and from that list select the Firefox OS simulator option as pointed out in the screenshot below.
- Now you will have the page as shown in the screenshot below; this area is called Dashboard of the Firefox OS Simulator. Now just click on the simulator toggle as pointed out in the screenshot below to open and start the Firefox OS simulator.
- After you have clicked on the toggled the option as shown in the above step it will open up a window as shown in the screenshot below. In this window the Firefox OS will be emulated
- The simulator allows you to add web apps to the Firefox OS with ease. Just add the link and click Add URL as pointed out in the screenshot below. The app will appear on your home screen and it will run like any other app on the operating system.
- In the screenshot below you will be able to see that the Google app has been created on your home screen.
My Experience with Firefox OS Simulator:
The interface of the operating system is quite similar to Android OS. The simulator comes included with quite a bit of apps like: calendar, clock, camera, FM radio, Marketplace, Cost control, E-mail, Music, Video, Clock, Task, and others apps; including application specifically made for the developers.
The simulator run amazingly smooth without any glitches and with good speeds. The interface of the OS is extremely simple and intuitive. This mobile OS can be run easily by anyone who is not at all geeky. Also this simulator allows you to add more apps to the Firefox with ease so that you can test out your apps on the new operating system.
So, if you have been reading about Firefox OS and want to take it for a spin, do give this Firefox OS simulator a try; you won’t be disappointed.
Home Page: Click Here
Free / Paid: Free
Link to This Page:
Be the first to know about Latest Free Software: